Monkhams Centenary and International Acclaim for Essex

We send our fraternal congratulations to all the Brethren of Monkhams Lodge No 4161 which was Consecrated at Freemasons Hall on 30th November 1920.  Named after Monkhams Hall, the family home of the Primus Master W Bro Sir Richard Beale Colvin who became the first APGM when the office was created in 1924 and PGM for Essex in 1929. 

A distinguished Army Officer, MP, DL and JP, W Bro Colvin also served Essex as a High Sheriff and Lord Lieutenant.  He was awarded the CB in 1901 and KCB in 1934.  In July 1929 one of the leading Masonic publications in the USA wrote about the 141st Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls:

“It is interesting to note that over $350,000 was subscribed for the work of this enterprise. R.W. Bro. Brigadier-General Richard Beale Colvin, Provincial Grand Master of Essex, was chairman of this year's festival. His province outranked all others in contributions; the sum subscribed being over $150,000 [equivalent to over £1.75m today]” . . . What could not the Masons of this country do for charity if they showed as much real interest in regard to this basic tenet of the Fraternity?”

If the legendary ‘Master of Monkhams’ could be with us on the Centenary of the Consecration of Monkhams Lodge, he would no doubt encourage every Essex Mason to continue giving their support for the Essex 2022 Festival so that the Province can once more be acclaimed internationally for its charitable giving.