St George’s Lodge reaches its 100th Anniversary

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

ST GEORGE’S LODGE NO. 4117 REACHES ITS 100TH ANNIVERSARY

On Saturday 30th October 1920 at Freemasons Hall W Bro J H Salter, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Essex installed the Primus Master at the Consecration Ceremony of St George’s Lodge No 4117. The 19 Founder Members were all from its sponsor, St John’s Lodge No. 1343.

The Founders wanted a local lodge in Tilbury which was open to all.  With a membership of almost 200, St John’s Lodge had moved to the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras in London whilst Tilbury Lodge No 2006 was confined to those employed at Tilbury Docks.  The Founders were justified in forming a new lodge as membership had risen to 54 within 10 years. In the same decade following WW1, 40 new lodges were formed in Essex and membership in the Province had doubled to 8,800.

The United Grand Lodge of England had granted the Warrant for St George’s Lodge on 11th May 2020, just days after the last case of Spanish Flu – which did not come from Spain but being neutral in WW1 was the only country releasing official figures. The virus had caused the death of nearly one million people in four waves over two years.

We send our fraternal congratulations to all the St George’s Lodge Members and wish them well in organising their Centennial celebrations with guests and visitors when it is safe to do so.